Sunday, May 07, 2006

Crusty Book Cover

I got side-tracked while I was getting ready to do the ironing, and I made this notebook cover:

(Click on photo for bigger image)

The slip-on cover is made from a piece of velvet. The 'crusty' bit started out as a sheet of cellophane gift wrap and a black plastic tablecloth. It was there; the iron was hot: it was the most natural thing in the world to get out the silicone baking parchment.

I layered a piece of the cellophane over a piece of the black plastic. Then I 'ironed' it (by holding the iron as close as I could without touching) between two sheets of baking parchment until it bubbled up, then carried on until some of the bubbles burst. I stitched the results, a melted mess, to the black velvet, made a few more holes and trimmed the edges with a soldering iron for an even 'lacier' effect. Then I embellished with free machine stitching in multicoloured metallic threads. Finally, I added some copper leaf.

(Click on photo for bigger image)

I decorated the edges of the cover with machine wrapped cord, stitched with the same metallic threads, stitched the surplus cords halfway down the spine and knotted the ends.

I didn't get any ironing done!

(Sorry about the poor pictures - had to scan because the boss has left my camera in his office)