Sunday, November 09, 2008

A bit more tarted up TAST

Another of the TAST samples I pulled out. This one was oyster stitch and double knot stitch.

Again, I added a border, but this time I needlepunched dyed wool fleece (roving) to black muslin (scrim). I cut it into strips and applied it log cabin style to the sample. Then I machine quilted it onto a synthetic felt dishcloth with programmed stitches using metallic thread to give it a bit of sparkle.

(click on photo for bigger image)

Using simple stitches; buttonhole, french knots and straight stitch I added a patterned border around the sample in the centre. Then I finished it off by buttonholing all around the edge.

(click on photo for bigger image)

Saturday, November 08, 2008

Tarting up the TAST

When I read about Sharon's new challenge for next year, I decided it was time I did something with some of my old TAST pieces.

This was the sample for knotted cretan stitch:

(click on photo for bigger image)

I gave it a log cabin type border with some strips of calico (muslin) dyed with silk paints from the reject bin. Then I machine quilted it to a synthetic felted dishcloth and added a few rows of running stitch. Finally I buttonholed the edges to finish it off.

For lots of reasons, I didn't make a very good job of this year's challenge, but I'm really looking forward to the stitching challenge next year. So I'm taking a few of last years pieces a bit further!

Tuesday, November 04, 2008

I try hand needlefelting

I've seen lots of beautifully sculpted hand needlefelted items. I use a felting needle sometimes to attach the hair to my dolls, so I thought I'd have a go. First I made these maggots to attach to Grandson Number One's mummy costume for halloween:

(click on photo for bigger image)

I started with a small roll of polyester stuffing, and wrapped it with a thin layer of wool fleece (roving). Then I needle felted it and it worked really well, so I sculpted in the segments and added the nasty little eyes.

Flushed with success, I made this funny little lizard in much the same way:

(click on photo for bigger image)

I made the body first, then I made the legs and 'needled' them on.

(click on photo for bigger image)

To attach the wings, a piece of 'mangled' silk, I 'needled' them on, then put a couple of strands of knitting yarn along the 'seam' and 'needled' that in to make it secure.

(click on photo for bigger image)

These little bits didn't take long, using polyester stuffing as a 'core' speeded up the process a lot. And, of course, having a 'core' of polyester stuffing means they weigh next to nothing. I'd like to have a go at something bigger when I get the time!

UPDATE: the first comment on this post was made by a spammer advertising pokerplaying - I can't remove it, because Blogger is currently not showing a trash can on my comments page. I HATE these people!

UPDATE: thanks for the tip Helen, I've deleted that comment!