Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Sketchbook Challenge - Highly Prized

I've taken another word from my list - memento.

This poor dessicated bunch of flora is what remains of my corsage for my daughter's wedding almost eleven years ago and I'm not making a good job of reproducing it in coloured pencil. I didn't realise it would be such a difficult subject, even though I've simplified it a little!


(Click on photo for bigger image)

Lightly placing the various bits and pieces and starting with the dried flowers.


(Click on photo for bigger image)

Beginning to fill in the details.


(Click on photo for bigger image)

Strengthening the darks and adding some highlights. I think I'll leave it here. The cheap paper I used won't take any more pencil anyway!
Not one of my best efforts. Clearly I haven't been "keeping my hand in", but that's the reason I decided to follow the Sketchbook Challenge.

Another result - that faded wedding finery puts me in mind of a good character for a doll. I'll have to read Great Expectations again now. No real hardship!

Thoughts of pieces using tea and coffee dyed and natural fabrics with an old and faded look also spring to mind.

Inspiration from The Sketchbook Challenge already, and in the first month. Just what I was hoping for!

2 comments:

Sparklyjools said...

I like it - and I hope you make a "Miss Haversham" that would be fun!

Ruth said...

I think your sketch is excellent!