Monday, February 07, 2011

Sketchbook Challenge - February - Opposite

Complementary colours, opposite on the colour wheel. A clementine drawn on blue card.


(Click on photo for bigger image)

Not one of my best. Coloured pencil. I should have used a better support, but instead I used card from the Pound Shop and it wouldn't take enough layers of pencil.

Having said that, it was a challenging subject to draw. Trying to keep the luminosity of the orange fruit, with all that white pith was very difficult. I'll probably try it again with harder pencils and a better support. My own challenge was moving out of my "comfort zone" to use a coloured ground.

Second try on purple Canson paper:



I'd had it in mind to draw this last year, but I didn't get around to it. The image was posted on an internet challenge, Virtual Sketch Date. A photograph was posted each month for people to draw and leave a link on the virtual sketch date blog. The challenge finished early last year, but the blog and the images are still available here.

On the subject of "opposite" I did these a while ago, whilst following Illustration Friday.



Day



Night

The Illustration Friday word that week was "Remote"

No comments: