Tuesday, October 14, 2008

A question for the embellishers (machine needlefelters)

Has anyone else experienced discomfort or felt 'chesty' after using their embellisher machine?

This has happened to me two or three times now - the first time I thought I was catching a respiratory tract infection. The second time the GP thought I had an allergy. But I used my needlepunch machine quite a bit last week and I've been uncomfortable and wheezy for four days now. I've got a DIY chipboard/MDF mask to wear once I feel better.

This could have been part of the reason:


(Click on photo for bigger image)

The bolero and waist decoration are scraps of silk and wisps of fleece needlepunched together in a soluble fabric sandwich, machine quilted and then rinsed. The trousers are chiffon with wisps of fleece punched through from the back for a little colour and a lot of texture, and again machine quilted. All the garments were embellished with beads, sequins and buttonhole stitch in multicoloured stranded cotton.

11 comments:

Jo in NZ said...

These dolls are just gorgeous Kay Susan. I adore their faces, they are so unique and full of expression.
love love love
great to see you posting again too.

Jackie said...

Thank you for that common sense comment and thank you for sharing your lovely dolls. You see what I mean about new blogs? Yours is another on the list!

Carol said...

Hi Kay, thank you fopr dropping by my blog. I have an embellisher but haven't experienced any problems with it.

Your doll is gorgeous.

Nuvofelt said...

If you always work with the same fabrics you may be affected like this. I have noticed something similar in a workshop situation. Sounds like a good subject for a blog post. I'll think about that.

Mermaid's Purse said...

Another gorgeous doll - it's so beautiful! It could be the wool fibres, I have had similar problems when knitting (not that I've done a lot) in the past.

Barbara Pask said...

Hi, I found you by way of another blog. This little doll is just precious, I appreciate all the work involved.

Conni said...

Love your latest dolls - and their outfits!

I've never had a problem with airborne fibers working with the embellisher - but, then again, I've inhaled so much cat hair over the years, I'm probably immune...

Vivienne said...

Oh wow! I've seen this while pear-hunting! She's divine, and those felt legs .. terrific!A great place to play with wonderful textiles. My mother made beautiful dolls and soft toys, and I have had a dabble... will I go back there? You are tempting me.Sounds like the mask is a good idea for you.

Jo Castillo said...

Your blog looks great and I will have to come back and investigate, no time today. Beautiful doll. Wow. Thanks for stopping over at my blog.

Emmy said...

I love the dolls wonderful work

arlee said...

I find the same thing happens occasionally when i'm using velvets for long periods--maybe it's just a random thing, but it can be uncomfortable---vacuum the heck out of that area!

The little peoples are fabulous and i love the details!