Monday, March 14, 2011

Out and About with the Creative Co-op

It's British Tourism Week, with a particular focus on traditional seaside resorts and their piers. The Creative Co-op organised an Art Out on the pier. The plan was to have artists and crafts people sketching, painting, photographing and if possible demonstrating for a couple of hours on Saturday. Work would then be finished off as quickly as possible, ready to be exhibited during the week as a venue became available. Fourteen people came along to take part and generated quite a bit of interest.

It was a bit difficult to think of a way to demonstrate textile work on the pier, especially as it is always windy. I decided to take along some small pieces of fabric and some dye sticks and do rubbings of interesting textures.

Here are some of my bits:



and here's what I did with them when I got home:



Cut up, layered and bonded to a dishcloth made from recycled plastic bottles.



Some simple stitches added



and finally stitched to a backing. Measures about 12 by 8 inches.

The View from the Pier. (The sea, the beach, the cliffs and the downs.)

It's been a long time since I did anything on the art quilt front. I did this very quickly and I wasn't best pleased with the result, but it has given me some ideas for later!

No comments: