Thursday, October 20, 2005

Tie One On - multimedia

This month's challenge for Tie One On is to use some kind of multimedia on an apron. I have used discharge printing, hand and machine embroidery.

I have enough aprons for the present, so I made this one for Doris. (May 2005 archive).

(Click on photos for bigger image.)



The design was discharge printed using ordinary household bleach. The printing block was the piece of polystyrene shown in the photo. Usually it is used to fill in the gaps in the edges of wavy plastic greenhouse roofs. I curled it round and tied it with string to make the flower motifs. They are a larger version of the motifs on Doris's skirt. I outlined the design in stem stitch in stranded cotton, then added some decorative machine stitching.

Here's Doris modelling the apron.

I think it makes her look quite 'folksy'.

3 comments:

Conni said...

You know I love Doris - and her outfit is darling!

Allison said...

This is just fantastic...such an inventive and superbly crafted (as always) take on a classic subject. Wish I could see her in person!

Steve Musgrave said...

Wow that's really nice. I'm impressed!