Thursday, April 26, 2007

Punch'n'Stitch

More samples made on the embellisher using bits from my reject bin! I've been playing with needle punching the fabrics then 'quilting' them using the decorative stitches on my sewing machine.

(click on photo for bigger image)
The darker green piece is another 'verdigris' bit I made using a piece of green silk with a scarab stencil in copper coloured metallic powder mixed with fabric medium that didn't come out at all well. I made a 'sandwich' with the printed fabric on top, some copper coloured silk fibres on the bottom and turquoise felt in the middle. I needle punched it quite heavily on both sides to bring the felt and the silk fibres through to the top. Then I machine quilted it in a greek key pattern with copper coloured thread.

The piece on the right was a piece of space dyed muslin treated with potassium permanganate then discharged with lemon juice. It was very drab and dingy. I needle punched it to a piece of dyed wool blanket in turquoise to brighten it up a bit. Then I machine quilted in two different patterns with copper coloured, green and turquoise thread.

The last piece was space dyed muslin that I had scribbled on in felt tip pens in dark red and silver. I needle punched it to a piece of yellow felt to harmonise the colours, then machine quilted it in yellow thread.

(click on photo for bigger image)

This is what they look like on the underside.

I really like these punched and stitched pieces. The bin is emptying and the sample drawer is filling up!

3 comments:

Dianne said...

What a great idea to "renew" these pieces into something you will use in your work. They look great!!

Sue B said...

These all look fabulous!

Conni said...

Kay, these samples are great! I need to try some programmed stitches on my felted pieces.

I just read about the earthquake - hope you and your family and property are safe!