Saturday, January 26, 2008

TIF Jan 2008

Although there is still lots more mileage to go with the sketches for this month's challenge, I thought it was time I produced something, so I've translated my latest simplified bacteria motifs into fabric and thread....

I used the 'sandwiches' that I made in response to the Needlefelt Challenge I blogged about a couple of posts ago.

I've a few bits left over, so this may develop into a 'Series'. Just in case, I've given them titles - this one is 'Hatchling'


(click on photo for bigger image)

and this one is 'Hatchling, Reach for the Stars'


(click on photo for bigger image)

I cut the motifs out of one of the 'sandwiches' and some left-over polyester suede. I bonded two open wing 'hatchling' motifs to the 'sandwich' I made with muslin then machine stitched over the top to add texture. I put a backing of felted washing up cloth on the 'sandwich' I made without muslin to strengthen it and give a quilted appearance and machine stitched over it, adding the polyester 'hatchling' to it, then I bonded the 'larva' motif to the stitched 'sandwich', and stitched on top of it. I added hand stitches to both pieces to add more texture.

8 comments:

Digitalgran said...

Fantastic! The bottom one is my favourite because of the colours.

Padparadscha said...

Great idea !

JoWynn Johns said...

So much complexity with such a simple motif! They look joyful to me.

Anonymous said...

These are beautiful and yes, I think, you have a series here in the making. I have been enjoying your drawings they are really beautiful.

Anonymous said...

They really look nice. I like it when people take needlework to "modern" motifs such as bacteria. Your process sounds complicated, but the result is worth it.

Digitalgran said...

Hi Kay, this is the only way I can contact you to thank you for that great URL. It did work for me the first time. I will also try this one. I had fun this afternoon, but don't know if I can use it. yet, why not it's just for fun. Have a look tomorrow night at DG.

Mary-Frances said...

I love them! They're wonderful and such great texture! I wish we could have "feel o vision" on the internet!

Kim said...

I've really grown quite fond of your bacteria hatchlings - especially the 'Reach for the Stars.'