Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Granny's got a brand new bag..........

I was so pleased with the fabric I made from my UFO that I made another piece using a remnant of furnishing fabric. I thought I would make a more 'everyday' bag for myself, and use the blue piece for something more exciting. I backed it with curtain interlining and covered it with dark brown net. I used the stripes on the fabric as a guide for the programmed machine stitches.

Here's a picture of the 'before' and 'after'.



And here is the bag..................

bag Posted by Picasa

The basic pattern came from Threads magazine:

http://www.taunton.com/threads/pages/t00182.asp

I added a lining, a different tab and loop closure and a strap.

I found it quite difficult to set the 'waistband' on. I tried using leather, but it didn't work out at all well. I think it was because the fabric I was using was a little too stiff for the design. Finally, I used a piece of thick metallic lycra I bought from a remnant stall years ago. I didn't know how it would work out, and I hadn't decided how to fasten the bag or what kind of strap to use. The strap is just two old jogger drawstrings zigzagged together then stitched with the threads used on the bag fabric, threaded through curtain rings.

As a 'prototype' I am quite pleased with it. I would have preferred it to be a bit more squashy, wider and less deep. Next time I make one I will decide on the fastenings first and attach them before I put in the lining and I will use a softer fabric!

Its OK, I will use it.

(click on photos for bigger image)

4 comments:

Liz Plummer said...

This is lovely - nice texture. It should be strong too with those fabrics!

LadyLinoleum said...

Fabulous bag! I love Threads.

isay said...

you are so cool! i love this bag so much.

Kitty Couture said...

You did a fantastic job! Love the fastening, love the fabric! It's so stylish!