Sunday, March 04, 2007
Green Fly - post as you go
Here are the wrapped wire legs - these are a bit too sturdy but I didn't have any of the florist's wire I used for the first fly left and these are made of a bit of old electrical wire I found in the shed. They are buttonhole stitched together, ready to stitch to the body. They will be cut to length later and have beads attached for the feet.
This is the face mask, in two pieces, made on the embellisher from felt, wool tops (roving) and scraps of organza, some of it with metallic thread woven in.
and this is the breastplate, made from the same piece of constructed fabric as the face mask -well, all the best dressed flys have a matching set! The breast plate covers the stitching where the legs are attached and adds a bit of decoration and colour.
Most of the face mask will be covered by the eyes, but although it sparkles from the organza and the metallic thread, I think the breast plate is a bit plain. It is unlikely that I will be able to resist embellishing it in some way.
The next thing to do is to make the wings...
This is the pattern. I cut the pattern from craft vilene and attached nylon organza with machine straight stitch in metallic thread. The vilene proved to be too white so I toned it down with coloured pencils.