to make a three sided box with a pointed top.
(click on photo for bigger image)
The not so clever bit was that I tried to cut out one stage of the method and needlepunch the silk scraps for the main fabric straight onto the craft vilene (pellon). This did not work very well. I had bits of vilene flying all over the place and more than a few bald spots on the outside of the box. With hindsight, it would have been better to a) not be so impatient and have a separate piece of fabric or b) paint the vilene first, so the bald spots would not show! I used straight and patterned machine stitching to attach the vilene to the felt and zigzagged on some fancy silk yarn for decoration using a metallic thread to give a bit of sparkle.
This is what the outside of the outside of the box looked like (not this one, this is Mark 2) before the sides were stitched together.
And this is the inside of the box. Here you can easily see the construction lines.
I fastened it with eyelets, a machine wrapped cord and wooden beads. I still felt it needed a handstitched buttonhole edging to finish it off.