Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Still boxing, but not so clever

I adapted the five sided box method:
http://www.embroiderersguild.com/stitch/projects/box/index.html

to make a three sided box with a pointed top.


(click on photo for bigger image)

The not so clever bit was that I tried to cut out one stage of the method and needlepunch the silk scraps for the main fabric straight onto the craft vilene (pellon). This did not work very well. I had bits of vilene flying all over the place and more than a few bald spots on the outside of the box. With hindsight, it would have been better to a) not be so impatient and have a separate piece of fabric or b) paint the vilene first, so the bald spots would not show! I used straight and patterned machine stitching to attach the vilene to the felt and zigzagged on some fancy silk yarn for decoration using a metallic thread to give a bit of sparkle.

This is what the outside of the outside of the box looked like (not this one, this is Mark 2) before the sides were stitched together.

And this is the inside of the box. Here you can easily see the construction lines.

I fastened it with eyelets, a machine wrapped cord and wooden beads. I still felt it needed a handstitched buttonhole edging to finish it off.


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very cool!

Purple Missus said...

Yet another wonderful box. Its brilliant.

Sarah said...

Your box is beautiful! I can't stop looking at it, putting it together in my mind - fantastic!

Emmy said...

so lovely and thanks for sharing

Micki said...

It is a lovely box. I think it turned out very well.

Margaret S said...

So glad I have seen this great idea. I am off on a Nuno felt workshop at the end of the month and I have been thinking about possible end results for the samples. This could definately be one!!!!!!!!!

Nancilyn (Fiberdabbler) said...

Good grief, Kay Susan, the inside is as beautiful as the out! You continue to amaze. And btw, it's very artistic just laid flat!