Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Paisley postcard finished


I reverted to Plan A and made it into a postcard. I couldn't resist adding more embellishment, of course. Adding the orange french knots to the laid work in the yellow motif drew the eye straight to the top left hand corner, so I added some more orange to the larger motif to balance it up and then I thought it needed some beads. The background is stitched in chain stitch in dark blue and green, the different colours don't show up well in the photo. I zigzagged it to a piece of craft vilene (pellon), then covered the edge and the stitching in buttonhole stitch in the same colour as the laid work on the larger motif. There's been a slight departure from traditional crewel and I think the 'tail' on the yellow motif is an improvement. It turned out to be a difficult shape to satin stitch round smoothly without a break.

Here's a close up:




(click on photos for bigger image)

3 comments:

arlee said...

Mmmmmmmmmmm, looks so touchable, so soft. Very rich.

Marty52 said...

This is just lovely... makes me want to reach thru the screen and run my fingers across it!

Julie said...

Really wonderful! It looks almost aquatic to me for some reason.