Monday, August 21, 2006

Playing with paisley

I was inspired by all the paisley motifs and couldn't wait to try one out. I was saving this little piece of linen for a postcard, but I've since found some other pieces of dyed fabric that I think would be better, so off I went to experiment. First thoughts were rich colours and richness of design. I decided to do my first attempt in old fashioned crewel embroidery. When I'm using a fabric with a pronounced weave and a fairly intricate design that is not counted, I like to draw the design on a piece of synthetic organza, then cut it away close to the stitching when its finished. The medieval embroiderers working on Opus Angelicum used silk gauze underneath their intricate pictures of saints etc. I copied them but I used a cheaper alternative! I'm not best pleased with this, especially the satin stitch on the 'tail' of the teardrop and the soft shading was more difficult than I thought it would be. Clearly I need to brush up on my crewel work.

I'm still thinking about the 'paisley sampler' - deciding whether it should be lots of paisley motifs worked in different stitches and colours in stranded cotton with embellishments, or whether it should be lots of paisley motifs worked in different techniques. Maybe I will do both. And then there will be the 'experimental work'! I do like to take a theme like this and 'work it to death'.

Here is a closeup:

(click on photos for bigger image)


Jo in NZ said...

Oh, it's so absolutely different from anything else I have seen. I am so looking forward to the next one.

Maureen said...

Looks like more and more (people) are getting infected by the paisley "bug".

I do like that you've worked it in Crewel work!