Friday, August 04, 2006

Fabric Postcard - July

I've been wanting to take part in 6 x 4 Lives for some time, but somehow I couldn't fit it in. Now, for reasons explained later, I suddenly find that I have time! Here's the details.

http://inaminuteago.com/blog/index.php/6-x-4-lives/

I like the idea of a small sample each month. This is my first one and its really late, but I started it before the end of July.

This July was the hottest since records began. This postcard is to remind me of the heat, and also the heat inside me. On one of the hottest days of the year, I was fired because I went home with heat stroke. Suffice to say, I don't intend they should get away with it. That's why I didn't finish it on time - I've been a bit busy...........

So, my postcard is about HOT.

This is how I made it:

(click on photos for bigger image)



Design on squared paper.



Scraps of crystal organza on felt.



Chiffon over the top.



Design traced freehand onto pattern drafting tissue. Placed over the top of fabric and felt 'sandwich' and pinned.



Stitched in a grid pattern, leaving letters blank. I used metallic thread with a triple straight stitch.



Cut away squares, leaving letters intact. Overstitch with automatic pattern, I used cross stitch. Once I've cut away all the squares and overstitched, I will be ready to EMBELLISH.

3 comments:

sharonb said...

Kay Susan I am so sorry to hear that you have been fired because of heat stroke! Comming from down under where our summers are regularly in the temperatures you have been having and ari conditioning is a luxury still it seems most unfair. I like your postcard.

Conni said...

Your card is wonderful – love the technique you used. I’d like to find time to join the postcard group, too. It’s on my “to do” list.

Please take care of yourself in this awful heat. We’re getting a little break from it in NJ as a cold front has come through.

Grangry said...

Thanks for the sympathy people! I was working in a call centre and it was completely enclosed with no windows and no doors to the outside and the aircon wasn't working, hadn't been for months!